Road Safety Audits
While most transportation agencies have established traditional safety review procedures, a road safety audit (RSA) is unique. RSAs are performed by a multidisciplinary team independent of the project. RSAs consider all road users, account for human factors and road user capabilities, are documented in a formal report, and require a formal response from the road owner. RSAs are one of FHWA’s Proven Safety Countermeasures.
RSAs provide the following benefits:This overview webinar provides an overview of the Road Safety Audit process and points the participants to additional resources for establishing their own RSA program or performing RSAs.
- Reduced number and severity of crashes due to safer designs.
- Reduced costs resulting from early identification and mitigation of safety issues before projects are built.
- Improved awareness of safe design practices.
- Increased opportunities to integrate multimodal safety strategies and proven safety countermeasures.
- Expanded ability to consider human factors in all facets of design.
Instructor:Larry is the owner of Hagen Consulting Services, LLC. He has worked in the public sector, the private sector, and academia. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and a former board member of the Florida Section of ITE, serving as President in 2002. He holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Florida. He is a registered Professional Engineer in Florida and Georgia and is a certified Professional Traffic Operations Engineer. He has over 30 years of experience doing transportation engineering work throughout the state of Florida.
Course Length:3 Hours
3 Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
0.3 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)