Below you will find Frequently Asked Questions pages to help answer some of the more commonly asked questions regarding the various programs and offerings at the Florida Tech Transfer Center.

Pilot Escort FAQ

Maintenance of Traffic FAQ

Where can I find information on Federal Aid for Local Public Agencies?

If you have additional questions, please direct them to t2cttassist@ce.ufl.edu 352.273.1670


Pilot Escort Frequently Asked Questions

I can't find the 8-hour National Safety Council Online Defensive Driving Course. Where is it?

Safetyserve.com is the official provider of National Safety Council Defensive Driving courses. Go to https://www2.safetyserve.com/, click on “Defensive Driving Course”, then “Insurance Reduction” or “Ticket Dismissal.” You will see a United States map; click on the state of Florida. Do not take a “4-hour BDI” course; this is not an 8-hour equivalent. Choose the last class option which says: Please click here to take the NSC Defensive Driving Course for any other reason including Pilot/Escort purposes. (Note: Florida Pilot/Escort Drivers must take the DDC 10th edition, NOT the Florida State course. When the course is completed, be sure to request the mailed certificate. The weigh stations will pull you over if you do not have the proper certificate.)

Is Florida really requiring escorts to carry 36-inch cones?

Yes, as of February 1, 2010, as well as several other changes. See the Florida Administrative Code website for the official rules and equipment requirements.

Which out-of-state escort certificates does Florida accept?

  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Georgia
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

What if the out-of-state escort course does not include flagging, is it accepted?

Pending final word from FDOT: yes, though escorts should study proper flagging procedures, as all escorts are authorized to flag while escorting in Florida per Florida Statute 316.079 (2). Proper flagging procedures are found in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices part 6E.

Reminder: all escorts must have an accompanying CDL or NSC DDC-8 certificate, even out-of-state certificate holders.

I'm qualified to escort in another state, but was still fined while escorting in Florida. Why was I fined?

Though you are legally allowed to escort in Florida with another state's qualification, you still must abide by all Florida escort requirements, such as vehicle equipment, signage, etc.

When does a vehicle need an escort?

A vehicle shall have at least one escort when its:

  • width exceeds 12 ft., (needs two escorts if exceeds 14 ft.) OR
  • height exceeds 14 ft. 6 in., OR
  • length exceeds 95 ft. (may require two escorts in certain instances)

How do I do a route survey?

A survey is a list of any items that the load may come in contact with on the route that is on the permit application. Permitees must submit a route survey letter (FDOT letter guidelines) and route survey with a permit application for loads with a height greater than 15 feet, or width greater than 22 feet. Any qualified escort or CDL driver may perform a route survey. Be sure to include date and time of survey, weather, ground clearance issues, overhead obstacles. If item can not be moved to accommodate the load dimensions, contact permittee to see about alternate routes to go around the obstacle.

Where can I find more information on the Florida Mobile Home Installation course and requirement?

Here is a website with more information: http://www.flhsmv.gov/mobilehome/homeinstallation.html


Is this the class needed to be a funeral escort?

No. Funeral escorts do not need a training course, but do have equipment requirements and roadway right-of-way procedures found in Florida Statute 316.1974.

More questions?

If you have any more questions you'd like answered, please submit them to Florida T2 Center Registration Desk.



Back To Top


Maintenance of Traffic FAQs

How long are MOT certifications good for?

Training or refresher courses for all three levels of MOT training are required every four (4) years.

What Happened to the “Restricted” Course?

The Restricted Activities course was required for everyone who had the direct responsibility for placement of work zone traffic control devices in the utility industry only. Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Training for those performing utility operations is no longer overseen by the Department or the MOT Administrator (who is contracted by the Department). The Utility Accommodation Manual will address the requirements for utilities in regards to training.  Training is required, however, how utility employees are trained is determined by the utility itself. Utility employees performing TTC operations may choose to take an Intermediate or Advanced course from one of the providers through the MOT Administrator, but this is not required.

What are the prerequisites for MOT classes?

Basic Training and Intermediate Training - No experience necessary
Advanced Training - Not at this time
Refresher- You must have a current valid certification of the appropriate type.

What are the requirements for students to attend the course and take the exam?

The following applies for the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. Student must have a Valid State-issued Driver's License Number, Valid State-issued Identification Card Number or a valid Passport number prior to sitting for class. Student must present identification prior to sitting for the exam. Writing must be legible on Exam sheet. DL is used for identification purpose only, email is used to send student login instructions for exam results.
For Intermediate Refresher and Advanced Refresher student must have a Valid State-issued Driver's License Number, Valid State-issued Identification Card Number or a valid Passport number prior to sitting for class. Instructor/Proctor will verify student's MOT Certificate has NOT expired before sitting for class.

What happens upon completion of a training course?

Upon successful completion of a training course (Passing grade: 70%), each individual will receive login instructions on how to print their wallet-sized card and full certificate, which shows the student’s name, the Provider’s name and ID # (not applicable for Flaggers when not instructed by a Provider), the instructor’s name, the course category, and the expiration date.
For all classes taken through us, the MOT Administrator will issue Certificates and list the individual in the TQDBS (website database).

What happens if I fail the exam?

A failing grade on any course exam requires the student to retake that same course prior to retesting. There is no longer a requirement to retake the full Advanced or Intermediate course upon failure of a refresher course exam. If a certificate expires prior to passing a refresher course, the full Advanced or Intermediate course must be taken. Students should proactively schedule refresher courses well in advance of their certificate’s expiration date.

What is the length of each course?

Basic – No length requirement since this is a skill based course.
Intermediate - 16 hours
Intermediate refresher– 8 hours
Advanced level- 20 hours
Advanced refresher–8 hours

Exam Results:

Exams may take up to 2 weeks to process after we have submitted them to the MOT Administrator (excluding weekend and holidays). Once exams are processed and grades posted, student will be notified by the MOT Administrator via email.
Username to login is the student's TIN#, which is bubbled in on the MOT Exam. Once grade is posted no changes can be made to the TIN# since the grade and certificate are linked to it. If you do not provide an email you will not receive login instructions, contact the MOT Administrator or use student guide (Link on homepage). If your email is not legible you will not receive login instructions, contact the MOT Administrator. It is the responsibility of the student to provide their employer with a copy of their certificate. Certificates are located in the student profile, you must login to print it. We do not email them or send them by mail. The MOT Administrator can be contacted at TTC/MOT Administrator 813.419.1730 admin@motadmin.com Business Hours: M-F 9:00am-5:00pm.

Is MOT training provided in Spanish?

The FDOT does not permit providers of MOT training to offer the class in any language other than English. You may ask why? The answer is that the 600 series design standards, which are essentially the backbone of the entire MOT process are written in English and require a person who can fluently speak and read English.

Is there special accommodations for MOT training and exams?

No. Public Safety is at stake and any person responsible for Temporary Traffic Control must be able to comprehend course material and writing.

Do MOT Providers offer CEU/PDH credits to PE's?

Yes, we offer PDH credit on all of our MOT courses The FBPE considers MOT Training an "Area of Practice." If you are looking to receive credit make sure to put your PE number on the sign-in sheet and report it to the board.

What happens if a Refresher class is cancelled by the Provider and the MOT Certificate expires before I can get rescheduled?

Form 009 (found in MOT Resources) allows a Provider, Student, or Student's Employer to request an extension to attend a future Refresher class due to valid reasons listed on the form. This is ONLY for Student's whose MOT Certificate will expire prior to the original registered class. All information will be verified before approval is given. If extension is approved Student may not do any MOT work related to his/her expired certificate until a valid MOT Certificate is issued. The form must be filled out and emailed to admin@motadmin.com. After information is verified, form will be sent to FDOT. If a letter of approval is issued student must present it with the MOT Wallet Card/Certificate.

More questions?

If you have more questions you'd like answered, please submit them to the Florida T2 Center Registration Desk



Back To Top